Sunday, December 1, 2013

Life Changing Events

I have said it before, and I will say it again.  About the time I think I have life figured out, life happens.  It is one thing to sit in your ivory tower untouched by the struggles of life...with no challenges that ask us to prove ourselves...and spout out things that sound true, things that someone else thought up and which have little bearing with your own truth encounters.  It is another to "seek ye first the kingdom of God" when your earthly kingdom is a mess. 

 Suddenly, it is not so easy to walk the things you have been talking about. It takes more than man's words to be able to walk in victory--courage and overcoming--when it is a time of "in this world we will have trouble, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."

This is where we have to develop that faith that is the evidence of things hoped for, the substance of things not seen.  I am always amazed at how applicable to life are the stories of the Bible.  I think of Peter's life changing encounter when the cock crowed three times.  Before that courtyard scene, Peter would go to death for Christ.  In the very real working out of that courtyard scene, he denied his Christ three times. 

This truth encounter told Peter who he really was...where he was spiritually and emotionally.  He was devastated and converted as a result.  This fulfilled the words of Jesus...when you are converted, strengthen your brethren.  God is love.  He takes us even when He knows we are going to deny Him.  He gives us the promise that He is on the other side of our life changing event.  And He wants and needs our help to strengthen others. 

We are coming to the end of a year.  I sometimes get very introspective at this time of the year.  I love new beginnings, and I welcome the end of the old.  To me, it is like taking a shower and being "all clean."   I like to look over the year and see how God has brought us through our life changing events.  Some of us have gone through a death experience this year...personal death of so much of ourselves.   

It strengthens me emotionally and spiritually to know that, like Peter, God is still here.  He knows that my learning experiences are just that...they teach me what I need to know for the next part of my journey.  He is not mad at me.  Above all, He loves me.  What a wonderful God!

No comments:

Post a Comment