Friday, February 28, 2014

Thinking Big

"When you believe something is impossible, your mind goes to work for you to prove why. But when you believe, really believe, something can be done, your mind goes to work for you and helps you find the ways to do it."  Thinking Big,  David Schwartz, PHD.

I have been reading some very old books.  One of them is referenced above.  I am thoroughly enjoying the reading.  Books that old have a certain flavor that is no longer present.  What amazes me about both books is that they are discussing, so many years ago, things like the above quote.  We are talking today with renewed interest and excitement about the power of positive thinking and the law of attraction.  In thinking about these ideas, I suddenly had the thought that God is the author of this truth.  It was not new then (in 20s and 30s) or even now.  God said a long time ago that as a man thinks so is he.   

Biblical counsel like the power of life and death is in the tongue is being proven by today's science.  We are excited about that.  For one thing, it validates the word of God.  It is rather sad, however, that we could not just understand that Word and heed that Word without the science.  Are we so shallow that we cannot see what has been there all along?  Thank goodness, that God keeps repeating His truth in different ways for different generations.   I feel like our generation has been given extra help in understanding this dynamic of as a man thinks so is he. 

What challenges me is this.  What do I want to do with this truth.  Am I going to allow it to change my life?  Am I going to allow it to change my DNA?  Am I going to allow it to heal my sicknesses?  Am I going to allow it to change the way I perceive myself and others...wonderful creations from God's hand.  He is totally invested in us.  What are we worth to Him?  The life of the Son.  That is staggering. 

How are these thoughts challenging and changing your life?  Have you figured out yet how to make these truth applicable to your own life?  Are you having trouble embracing the power that is in this truth that as a man thinks so is he?  Are you understanding how you think?  Do you hear your own self-talk?  Do you hear the ranting and raving towards yourself?  Do you hear it directed towards others?   

We can create something positive.  We can create something negative.  It affects our health down to our DNA.  It affects our relationships with self, God, and others.  It affects the quality of every part of our life.  To me, this seems like a huge assignment in the management of this power.  Yet, I want to embrace this and see how I can make this life and world a better place.  I believe in each of us to make a difference.  I also believe that we sometimes get stuck in some sort of place that is undermining all our good intentions.  This is where we need Divine intervention.  And many times, it is helpful to have a group that is invested in the good of each one in the group.  Support may be in the form of proactive praying for truth encounters.  That is so much better than the misery loves company that is so often called prayer. 

I am being challenged right now because I see the potential for good if we embrace this information, but I FEEL that struggle that we have with change.  Transition is hard.  When there is something that needs to be overcome, I can no longer say, "I cannot."  God's truth has been validated.  What do we do with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment