Thursday, November 6, 2014

Stages...are you ready for peace?

Someone asked me recently how I felt about teaching a class that I was planning to teach.  I thought it was a wonderful question, and as I did not have a ready answer, I knew that maybe I should think about a bit.  And that is what I have done for several days.  I have decided that the way I feel is peaceful.  How great is that?  I have decided that the entire experience of learning and teaching is really a metaphor of how we live life.  

I have spent my life teaching in one way or another.  It is just in me.  You know, they say you teach what you need to know.  I have needed to know a great deal on my journey.  I had to refine what I thought I knew from childhood up.  Just about the time you think you have something figured out, life happens.  In the past, this frustrated me.   Now, I think that it is very interesting.  Rather than seeing things right or wrong (the A+ and the F), I see that for this level of my experience, it is what it is!!  

It is kind of like the parable of the sower.  He sowed seed everywhere.  We would say He was indiscriminate in His sowing.  We would have been so much more careful with the seed.  I see Him having a good time with the seed.  He is saying, “Oh there might be someplace that the seed will grow in the rocks and shallow places.”  I see Him sowing with abandon, fun, faith, and hope.  

At this stage of teaching, I understand this type of abandon.  I used to be so concerned with the stuff that man is concerned with in teaching…the presentation of MY information.   Now, not so much.  I am delighted to be sowing with abandon HIs seed, His truth, His thoughts, His love.  

The different stages of life make a difference in our teaching.  I see those stages as:
  • Here is the information…questions make us uncomfortable.
  • Questions are welcome and answers are subject to skepticism.
  • Q&A is too rigid.  Observations are friendlier.  There is room for all the participate no matter what level of understanding…the seed will not take in all ground unless it is their time.
The peace that comes from knowing that you are not in charge of the “taking root and growing” is wonderful.  I think that perhaps one of the things this parable was doing was to manage the expectations on the disciples.  If we took this lesson to heart, we could have so much peace.  We would also have an easier time at each stage of life wherein we find others.   Relating at the third stage to a first stage person is a challenge if either person is overly invested in opinion or outcome.  

I recently was talking to a growing saint and she said that she no longer felt compelled to have an answer or to express answers.  She is learning to be content while others search for their own answers.  This is great.  It brings to mind the scripture that says to be ready always to give an answer TO THOSE WHO ASK about the hope that is within you.  This is where we get into trouble.  I have discovered that when a person is sharing their opinion, they are not usually open to hearing yours.  WAIT.  I think that they are refining their beliefs.  They are not in Q&A mode yet.  Maybe something they share will help you refine your beliefs.  That is probably the most you can hope for at this point. I find all of this to be a relief.  I wish someone had shared this stuff with me when I was younger.  I wonder if you can understand when younger?  At least we could take it as a heads up.

I see this as a “peace on earth, good will to men” experience.  We are earth…made of earth.  Another metaphor.  When you have peace in your heart, you are no longer invested in battling with other men.  You are no longer trying to prove your way, have you way, invested in outcome, or have any secondary motives with others.  THEN your peace in your part of the earth will have true good will towards men.   

No comments:

Post a Comment