Saturday, November 1, 2014

Hear the Messages, Learn the Lessons

Jesus walked among the people.  He healed the physically sick.  He knew that in that sickness is another condition that is often unspoken but very much felt.  We so often are concerned about the physical.  He is full of grace also for the condition that is often unspoken.  Sometimes, we do not have words that explain the condition of spiritual starvation.  Does God care about even me?  Why is this happening to me?  What do I do with this?  Will I ever be well again?
Jesus was addressing this when He asked the man at the pool of Bethesda, “Do you want to be whole?”  The man responded in his hopeless dilemma of not having any help.  He had no physical help.  He had no help that was of this world.  Do you sometime feel that way?  In all our “answers” that are available, there does not seem to be one that works.
We are so often looking for the physical answer.  We need to be as vigilant in finding the emotional and spiritual answers.  What is our condition trying to tell us?  What have I been holding on to?  What is the invitation in this situation?  
I make no judgment because more and more I understand that we have not been taught to ask these questions from a spiritual dimension.  We are having to learn how to do this part of the journey, too.  I see people who really do not want to be well because of what it will cost them…not financially, but in terms of relationships…themselves and others.  It is not always good news to them to know that they need to make some decisions.  It is easier to be sick and keep seeking a cure.  
Sometimes this sickness is teaching you something…sometimes it is taking you somewhere…sometimes it is helping you release something, sometimes it is cultivating grace of some sort.  For these reasons we can praise God for this instructor.  Be open to hearing and learning the message of these situations.  Be open to hearing the hunger in your own experience.  God knows and He cares.  
The more that I work with people the more understanding I have of the “gray” areas of life.  Everything is not black and white.  Everything is not either/or.  Everything is not good or bad.  What will healing cost me?  What have I been selling myself for in this sickness?  Who or what am I financing with the sickness.  What do I want to escape?  What am I just too tired to keep at?  From what am I being rescued or excused? What truths have I been hearing that I am refusing to honor?  What needless guilt am I carrying?  What unresolved anger?  Am I needing down time to be with God, and this is the way I am getting it?

Jesus healed the man at the pool of Bethesda even though he could not see any help.  In spite of this, the man remained in the hope of healing.  Sometimes verbalizing that there is no hope in the material world is the day break awareness that moves us to the spiritual and emotional answers where there is healing.  Praise God that He knows exactly where we are and in His time, the answer comes…and it may mean physical healing, too.  Sometimes, we are healed quickly.  Sometimes, we are healed as we go into greater awareness.  Sometimes we are healed as we go and sin (dysfunctional behavior) no more.  Be compassionate to others and to self.  Bethesda is just where you are right now…not forever.  Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment