Friday, April 4, 2014

Purification of Motive

The spiritual journey could be seen as a constant purification of motive until we can finally say, “I have no other reason to do anything except love of God and love of neighbor.”  Richard Rohr
 

Does the above quote help you understand something important about what seems to be the harshness of the journey?  The rain falls on the just and unjust, but I am inclined to believe that the Believer has a different standard of measurement about this harshness.  The spiritual person has to unlearn a lot that the non-spiritual person does not.  That person was not programmed with some of the misconceptions that come to us through the church. In Jesus' day, the people believed good things happen to the righteous and bad things mean that you are bad, or you have done something wrong, etc.  It is easy to embrace such teachings because it gives a sense of control...until something harsh happens to us.  Ever heard someone say that they must not be living right because such and such is happening?  This is the same lie that Jesus tried to eliminate when He was here. 

Oswald Chambers in My Utmost for His Highest says that when trials come to us it is not so much to teach us something as it is to help us "unlearn" something.  I sometimes call the Earth School journey the university of unlearning.  It is amazing how we get so enamored with the velocity of living and doing.  That feels good...in control.  In those times where velocity is impeded by person, place, or thing, we often find ourselves a bit down or even depressed.  It is all about misplaced expectations.  Our "savior" (person, place, thing, expectation, incorrect belief, etc.) has been crucified, and we are at the foot of that cross wondering what happened.  As we are dealing with the death and burial of these things, we need the grace of God to help us.  It is in this that we experience "constant purification" of motive.  We may need to be instructed by the Holy Spirit about the subconscious motives, too. 

Who am I?  What am I here for?  What is my purpose?  What is God's will for my life?  Am I in His will?  I hear these questions almost weekly from so many people.  It is like all the answers are "out there" far from us.  Knowing the truth about God and ourselves as part of God that Jesus prayed for in His oneness prayer (John 17), can help us stop feeling like abandoned children.  Romans 8 tells us that our purpose is to be conformed into His image.  We most often want the wonderful without the way of the cross, however.  I remember one time asking God about His will.  I was in agony about this issue.  I did not know what that even meant.  We are supposed to grow up, go to school, get a job, and live happily ever after.  NOT.  Life happens to all of us.  In my agony of inappropriate expectations, I cried out: What is Your will, God?  Softly, He said to me, "Linda, you are my will."  I felt such a peace flow into my heart.  What a marvelous thing for God to say to me...a person with life experiences that left me bleeding and doubting my worth, value, goodness, and significance.  More than once, He has had to remind me.  

You are God's will.  Can you hang on to that while you are on your own journey of purification?  In this world, we will have trouble; but be of good cheer I (Jesus) have overcome the world.  His victory finding application in our lives is our victory.  Let us reach out the hand of faith and grab the hem of His garment.  Let us hear His words, "Daughter (Son), your faith has made you whole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment