Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Seek Ye First


Happy New Year!

Last year, our goal and that of our children has been Matthew 6:33: "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

Partner it with verse 34: "Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.  Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

Romans 14:7 tells us: "For the kingdom of God is not meat and drank: but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost."

Righteousness is of God.  Peace is of Jesus.  Joy is of the Holy Ghost.  The kingdom of God from this perspective sheds light on the "kingdom" parables which are talking more about "being" than about a place where we go. 

It may even be that living in the spirit of the kingdom may make it possible to experience that literal kingdom at some point.  On earth as it is in heaven may have great application for us as we contemplate this. 

I have decided that this is a goal that I want to keep for 2014.  It is more than a goal.  It is a relationship into which I enter.  One description of "kingdom of God" is the work of grace upon the heart.  That is all about relationship.

I sat for a while today and beheld Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane.  I was touched anew with the sweetness that fills me as I take time to do this, as well as behold the other emblems of Jesus in the chapel room.  In the spirit of that I felt my heart dance...dance in the joy of the Holy Ghost.

Seeking first the kingdom of God, let us step joyfully in 2014 and embrace the daily pursuit of our magnificent God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment